These cookie squares have the look of a traditional holiday fruit cake without the heaviness (and a better taste!). Great with coffee, tea, or as a breakfast bar. Best of all, no guilt!
Holiday Blondie Cookie Squares
(gluten free, dairy free, sweetener free)
You can change the nuts in this recipe to your taste, think about drizzling with or dipping in melted chocolate, or top with frosting if you prefer them sweeter.
1/4 cup dried tart cherries
4 dried medjool dates
4 dried apricots
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup pear juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup roughly chopped whole almonds
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Pour 1 cup boiling water over all dried fruit in a bowl to reconstitute. Let sit for 20 minutes.
3. Combine in a mixer coconut flour, eggs, baking soda, and salt until blended well.
4. Add pear juice and mix well.
5. Add vanilla extract and cinnamon; blend well.
6. Dice all reconstituted fruit, making sure to remove the dates’ pits. Then add all diced fruit, almonds, and optional chocolate chips into the mixture; blend well.
7. Line a loaf pan or square cake pan with wax paper. Trim wax paper if sticking up above rim, and pour mixture in, making sure to spread it evenly with a spatula.
8. Bake for approximately 50 minutes. Let cool and cut into squares. Makes 15 squares.
About the Author: This gluten free cookie recipe was supplied by Christie Stratos. You can learn more about Christie at her website, ChristieStratos.com